The Village Doctor’s Residence.
The oldest part of the present building was erected in 1850 on a former school allotment as residence for the village doctor. In 1857 31-year-old GP Laurits Esmarck Bang moved to Hvalsø, where he practiced for 41 years until his death in 1898. In 1859 he married 17-year-old Sophie Kiersgaard, who bore him 12 children.
A physician’s job then was comprehensive, as his closest colleagues lived as far away as Holbæk, Roskilde or Ringsted. At that, GP Bang ran the local community pharmacy, supplying household drugs and pharmacies. As the demand for medical assistance rose, Doctor Bang had to employ an assistant, and with the opening in 1872 of the chemistry, Hvalsø Apotek, some of the workload was lightened. Yet his financial circumstances were strained with a large family to feed and with many patients not able – or willing – to pay their bills.
His successor Johannes Mørch practiced for 39 years from 1898 – 1937. When he married in 1926, the east wing of the present building was added. The letters on the façade, “IM” and “GM” are the initials of the couple, Johannes Mørch and Gerda Mørch.
As Johannes Mørch retired in 1938, the couple handed over the building to Frederiksberg Hospital Service in return for an annuity. The building was then converted into a convalescent home with room for 21 convalescents from Frederiksberg, a fashionable part of Copenhagen. Following cut-downs on public spending in the 1990’s, the home was closed, and in 2002 the building was taken over by real estate agent, Karin Borre.
The respectful renovation of the original buildings into flats, led by architect Ole Hviid, was awarded the Price of the Year in 2002 by Hvalsø Historical Society.