Extractions of gravel at this site started in the 1870’s when the Zealand Railway Company started construction work on the line between Roskilde and Holbæk. For the construction of embankments and side slopes large amounts of gravel were required locally.
Peder Gaard’s lands, formerly under barony of Zeuthen, the owners of Sonnerupgaard Manor, proved suitable and the extractions started.
After the removal of the topsoil, the extraction of gravel was carried out manually and the gravel was then transported in tipper wagons drawn by horses along the route where the path now leads north, past the forest cemetery.
Two levels are visible in the gravel pit. The top soil had been removed from the southern part of the pit as well, before the demand for gravel for the railway subsided. In 1930 Lauritz Madelung, the owner of Peder’s farm, made a registered transfer of the land to the Parish Council of Hvalsø-Særløse for 2000,- kroner.
On June 30th 1930, Hvalsø Tennis club was founded and they leased part of the pit for 22,- kroner. Back then children were using a lake at the bottom of the pit for bathing. The tennis courts seem to have been pretty damp as well, as a pump was purchased.
The southwestern part of the pit is now used as recreational grounds by the scouts.