The Parish of Kirke Hvalsø.
To the north you will find undulating glacial surfaces carved out in the landscape during the Ice Age. To the south you will find a hilly dead-ice environment with lakes, bogs and meadows. Here the Elverdam Stream originates and the highest point, Skovbjerg with the teletower, reaches 113 metres.
In the Sonnerupgaard, Ledreborg, and Bidstrup forests there are many traces of former cultures, such as roads and dams. One third of the parish is protected area.
The parish consists of seven guilds, cp the map.
The first mentioning of Kirke Hvalsø is from 1253. The church was built in the 1200s with interesting epitaphs and elegant pews for the owners of Sonnerupgaard. Many preserved tombs can be seen in the cemetery.
In 1682 the village consisted of 14 farms, while smallholders cultivated their small plots. The town soon grew in importance with its rectory, a sexton farm, a school, a doctor and markets.
In 1874 the railway line to Kalundborg and the station opened. This spurred an urban development with the building of a hotel, a dairy, a sawmill, schools, and small factories. There were local crafts, and town houses typical of the period were built. From 1928 to 1936 the town served as a railway junction in the days of the Midtbane.
The village was first mentioned in 1320. The Owner’s guilt was split in two, as the outlying farms of Taderød remained part of the village. In 1682 the village consisted of 16 farms and 4 houses. There were once a grocer’s, a blacksmith and various artisans. To the east is Buske, once a roadside inn built in the 1600s.
The manor was first mentioned in 1341. The main building originates from 1879 but was renovated in 1956. The farm buildings were erected from 1867 to 1876. Behind these is a protected medieval rampart, open to the public. This was the site of the farm until 1731.
Several noble families have owned Sonnerupgaard. In 1621 it was owned by Mannerup Parsberg, who was a guardian of King Christian IV – and who chopped off Tycho Brahe’s nose.
Today the owners of Sonnerupgaard run the manor as a rural hotel and conference centre.
The hamlet was first mentioned in 1164. In 1682 it consisted of 2 farms. A large part of the lands is used for forestry.
The house was first mentioned in 1421 as a manor, home of watchman Bent Neg. The adjacent forest is called Stuelund.
Once a hamlet, first mentioned in 1607, Val-Borup is now a forester’s farm.
The commons are a mix of woodland and meadows. In 1397 the farm of Avnserup was mentioned. In the late 1700s, the name was changed to Helvigstrup after the Countess of Ledreborg. Today Helvigstrup has been demolished and the area forms part of the Bidstrup Forest.