The North-Western line from Copenhagen to Kalundborg was opened on December 30th 1874.
In a statement to the newspapers from the Board of Directors of the Zealand Railways, it was announced that trains would depart daily from Copenhagen to Kalundborg at 9:15 a.m and from Kalundborg to Copenhagen at 7:45 a.m. The travelling time was a total of 4 hours and 50 minutes.
The railway had a bad start as the train was stuck in the snow at Nyby, north of Tølløse, on New Year’s Day, and 60 passengers had to lodge at Mejnert Petersen’s farm. The story has it that Mr Petersen wanted no compensation, but instead he asked the for the engine drivers to blow the whistle when they passed his farm.
The railway line was officially inaugurated on June 29th 1875 when his Royal Highness, King Christian the Ninth, Queen Louise, and the Crown Prince of Denmark travelled on the line.
In 2013 a twin track was opened between Lejre and Vipperød. The station building was leased, so ticket sales were transferred to vending machines on the platforms. Today there is a bike rental in the building.